Additionally, I supplied three exercises for you to practice to specify a strong course in your trip to Self healing (at all levels, including the physical). This report presents yet another enabling skill for you to enhance your Self healing toolbox. This clinic will take you outside your daily thoughts, beyond self-talk, beyond symptoms, so that you can truly explore crucial communications from inside!
Let’s understand it
In actuality, this practice is just one of the more readily learned and most enabling, Self healing skills you can develop! I will tackle an abbreviated form of the exercise below (& innovative versions in future articles in this series). For the time being, allow yourself time to become proficient with this technique: A few sincere attempts will quickly accelerate your ability to attain substantial results.
- Take some time today to close your eyes, breathe slowly, and relax your muscles from head to feet (by whatever means work best for you; counting breaths, imaging character, stressed & unwind ).
- Pay particular focus on relaxing your facial muscles (particularly the jaw), shoulders, and lower spine. This a quiet, restful time to go inside.
- As you do, remember to notice your internal response: What inherently bubbles into your consciousness? The thing here is to ascertain how you take this response on your physical being (beyond self-talk, beyond words on your head). You’ll find a feeling occurring somewhere within, a “felt-sense” (according to Eugene Gendlin, PhD, University of Chicago and The Focusing Institute). Notice where this reaction is situated in you; your heart?
- Once located, take the time to explore your experience in detail (the specific sensations). What do you notice emotionally? Can it be tension, butterflies, an itch, a pain.
- Now notice “the instinctive feel” of your reply. Is there an image, sound, temperature connected within? What is the “emotional tone” of your own experience? Is there a memory or symbol? Notice that the”wordless feel” of the experience. Just sit for a couple of minutes: Breathe into it and exhale from it. Witness. . .all you can from inside.
- Determine a “key” word or phrase by which to summarize this entire experience; something to bring back with you (to re-access the outcomes at a later time)
- Rinse and repeat, by checking-in again for “what else?” may be in the way of “feeling perfectly all right now”.
- Repeat steps 3 through 7 as many times as you require. When you feel that your experience is done, you may gently return to full waking consciousness, noticing how much better you feel. Within my practice with this exercise, in addition to with my coaching clients, the most fascinating results comes by means of the “replies” inside; this instinctive feel that emerges naturally.
Keep in mind
More often than not, the effect has nothing to do with present symptoms imposing on our consciousness, nor with the seriousness of these symptoms: It really isn’t the pain, the exhaustion, the irritability! Instead, most often, we get answers related to our habituated focus of attention, self-deprecating self talk, habitual behaviors, attitudes, limiting beliefs, memories, etc.
It’s as if we’ve gained such a numbing familiarity with extreme symptoms, what lies beneath those symptoms truly compels our discontent at the moment! In summary, we learn to bear symptoms: it’s the Self-beyond-symptoms we have to rediscover!
Once comfortable with this exercise, you might re-access these significant communications during your day by means of your word “keys” (Step 6 above).
Learn new, more enabling behavioral responses to long-standing symptoms. You could also repeat the whole exercise at various times to expand on the means by which you know to get “feeling all right”. Each time you do the entire exercise, you’ll gain new perspectives about how you can more easily “feel all right” now.
Please, do practice this exercise a couple of times every day to become proficient at getting crucial communications with core Self. In future articles in this series, we’ll expand this exercise and use it in several approaches to initiate and accelerate Self healing experiences. For now, the important thing for you is to go within Self to find out everything you can about the exceptional way you may sense “all right” now! As you proceed in studying (and implementing ) the Self healing skills presented in this set of posts, you’ll marvel at how easily you learn how to flourish beyond symptoms, to flourish beyond chronic illness today!